Not Just "Some Book"

Most of you probably know by now that I am a reader and a writer. I LOVE books. I read a lot of material. I have an English degree after all (but please don't hold my grammar against me...I really just don't care most of the time, haha.) I know Shakespeare and Twain, I've walked in India with Raj and I adore the snow-strewn streets of Dickens. Harry Potter is my homeboy, and I love to remind people that Dorothy's shoes were SILVER, not sparkly red. I've studied Children's Literature and Adolescent Literature, American Literature and British Literature. Don't get me started on Nonfiction - the older I get the more it becomes a favorite.

I know books. I've read the books. I've read the Psychology books and the Astronomy books. (Astronomy was probably the coolest class EVER! How about that eclipse coming up?!) I've read the Biology books and the History books...the Sociology books and the Art books. I've read books about writing books. I've read books about books.

Books books books.

It's familiar territory.

But I am telling you, as someone educated both in churches and public schools, taught by pastors and atheists alike...there is NO book...not one...like this one:


This is not just "some book." No others compare. I have not found another that touches this one.

Good books have good characters. Good books have intriguing and unpredictable stories. Good books teach, touch, and open up new worlds. Good books stay with you. Good books change you. Good books are often worth re-reading. The Bible does and is all of these things of course, but there are things that the Word of God does that no other book can do.

There is supernatural power in these pages. I am not even pulling your leg right now. This is a BLESSED book. It is alive, and it is full of power. For those who know God personally, can I get a witness?! You know exactly what I am talking about. It is through the power of the Holy Spirit that verses and chapters leap off of the page and proclaim truth just when you need it. It is through the supernatural power of God that the words on these pages literally do heart surgery on you as you read them, changing you from the inside out.

I can tell you from personal experience that this book has been my lifeline through some of my darkest times in life. This book has given me hope when there appeared to be NONE. When it seemed like I was done, over...that everything in my life was being stripped away from me...this book breathed life into me again. When I pray for God to reveal something to me in these pages, some truth that I need to hear...he does it. He literally does it. When I need an answer...he shows me just where to go. Time after time when I am crying out in despair, he leads me back to his Word and it calms me down. Not because there are some pretty words written there, but because there are promises of God written there, and by the power of the testimony's recorded in these pages there are days I am pretty sure certain things were written JUST FOR ME.

Nicholas Sparks cannot do that, I am afraid. :)

This is not, and will never be, "some book."

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the Word of our God endures forever. " Isaiah 40:8 Those words were written in the  8th century BCE. (8th century BCE!) It sure seems to be enduring quite well, as the most read and widely distributed book of ALL TIME. It's still going strong thousands of years later, and more and more people are discovering it's value every day.

Not just anyone who picks up the bible is going to be able to tap into the power that it possesses. That's the reason why some can flippantly say things like, "I'm not going to do what 'some book' tells me to do." If that's the attitude you have about it then, nope. Not going to happen for you. There are some nice stories in there, but they will mean nothing and the supernatural power that fills the pages when a believer opens it up will remain dark and silent for the one who mocks. UNLESS...unless you start to read, even maybe with a little bit of skepticism, and God decides to give you some divine inspiration. :) If you begin to read and it's obvious that God is speaking to your heart, listen to what he is saying to you. Step out in faith and believe!

Here's my challenge today to anyone who doubts. I want you to do something. Test it out. Pray first. Pray, even if you feel a little bit like an idiot, and ask God to share some important truth with you. Ask him to lead you just where you need to go. Nobody's life is perfect, surely you are going through something right now that you could use a little advice on or encouragement for. Then open up the bible or even find one online, pick a place to start reading, and read. Just read. Read at least one chapter. Try the New Testament if you are totally green to this whole bible reading thing, but I don't want to influence you too much! See what happens. What can it hurt?

I triple dog dare you.

Don't forget to pray first, I'm telling you, that's the secret. ;) Then feel free to come back and let us know if you received any encouragement! When you read a great book that changes your life, don't you just want to share it? This is that book for me! This is the game changing book. This is the life-altering, soul-feeding, never-be-the-same book that I will NEVER keep quiet about.

If you're looking for hope today - this is your book!
If you're looking for peace in your life - this is your book!
Want a good love story? You got it.
Want a little action and adventure? Here you go.
Do you like history? So much history.
Want to know the future? Flip to the back.
Looking for a change? From the inside out, my friends. From the inside out.

Maybe I should have made this the first post...you know, before I just started quoting from the bible all of the time. Haha. :)

May God show you great and unsearchable things today!




Comments

  1. Thank you for your post! I hope your blog reaches a wide audience from all walks of life, and as such I have a couple questions I am hoping you might answer for the benefit of other readers:

    What is prayer?

    How do you pray? (Not "you" specifically, but a general "how to" for those who might think you need to go to church, talk to a priest, etc.)

    You have shared a thoughtful message, and I look forward to hearing what God chooses to share with me when I pray THEN read. ;)

    Much love!
    Brianne ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a GREAT question! I think it deserves it's own post. Thanks, Brianne. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts